Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Good luck? Proof of God? Or am I just due for a shitstorm?

Yesterday I was supposed to craft a blog about an incident which occurred at work. I found myself to be too lazy to do so. Something even more gnarly occurred last night, however, so I see it as appropriate to write about both events today. Lets start with Monday night. As a storm of epic proportions threatened to rage outside, a car with Michigan plates pulled up to one of the pumps. I cringed. I knew without asking that the folks were from Detroit and, if you read my previous blog on that city, you know I hate Detroit. Well, I was thrown for a surprise. The folks in the car (indeed from Detroit) kicked ass. Why did they kick ass? Because they happened to be traveling back home from Tennessee and they had Krystal Burgers. For the uninitiated, Krystal is basically White Castle in the south. The burgers appear identical in every way, yet they taste better and do not give you the shits. Two teenagers who got out of the car asked me if they could microwave the burgers in the store. I told them okay, and expressed my jealousy that they had one of my favorite fast food items. The girl laughed, microwaved her food, and went back to her car. She came back in soon after and told me that the burgers belonged to her mother and that I could have some if I wanted. I was elated! I know it sounds like a trivial and basically retarded thing to be excited about a re-heated fastfood item that had just traveled in a car for 12 hours, but I was. I haven't had a Krystal burger in 10 years! As my friend Rob looked on, I enjoyed the little fucker to the fullest extent. All it took was one burger given to me by a family from Detroit to make my whole night. Hell...it almost gave me a new outlook on the city. Well, lets move on to last night. A customer, I would say in his late 40's or early 50's and driving an enormous monster truck, came into the store to buy some small items. Soon after he made his purchase and left, I was hit hard by a wave of customers. I couldn't move for almost an hour as they stormed the register area. When it calmed down, a customer from a local buisness that stays open at night found a wad of cash on the floor. I quickly snatched it from him and thanked him for being honest and not taking it. I put it in an envelope and placed it into the safe, assuming the rightful owner of the money would be back very soon. Indeed he was, and it was the driver of the monster truck. He asked me if I found some money and I asked him how much he lost. He said the amount I found (roughly $200) and I presented him with the envelope. I told him he was very lucky, considering the staggering amount of customers who had just descended upon the store. He smiled, tossed me $40 and left. $40!! Considering that I was completely broke and trying to find a way to pay for my cigarettes and lunch, this was beyond a blessing! So all it takes to make me happy is an $.89 Krystal burger and a $40 tip. Actually, considering how bad my luck has been for the past decade, this seems like winning the lottery to me. Yet....I feel something horrible lurking on the horizon. Either that, or maybe all this being nice to people shit is finally paying off....

2 comments:

Zom said...

Attribute it to the "being nice to people" thing.
because if you have a shitstorm headed your way ..... It'll be in the shape of a very fast spinning funnel ..... and I'll be standing next to you.

Oh and BTW .... thanx for offering me half of that Krystal burger. Fucker!

Fester N. Corpse said...

That would have been roughly half an ounce of food...mostly bun. But damn was it delicious...